Monday 27 July 2015

The Name of The Wind (& The Wise Man's Fear)

 The Name of the Wind & The Wise Man's Fear
Patrick Rothfuss

The first two books of the Kingkiller Chronicle series by Patrick Rothfuss. Telling the story of Kvothe, the unrivaled sword fighter, musician and magician.

So how did I feel about these books, you ask? Simply put; I fell in love.

I started off pretty skeptical as they are very heavy on imagery and at first I wasn't sure where the description ended and the story begun, but once it did and once I'd fallen in love with Kvothe, I was a goner.        

I didn't put either of these books down until I finished them. Rothfuss's style of writing is addictive, it has a fast pace to it yet still manages to include enough imagery and extra information to keep the world he's created developing. Every word is devoured and I couldn't help re-reading paragraphs in order to make sure I had drained everything from it.

I'm not fond of books written in first person, and I don't usually like switching time frames (the books alternate between Kvothe's past and Kvothe's -disguised as a innkeeper Kote- present). However I can appreciate why Rothfuss does this and it adds to the book and plot enormously.

I have one complaint - the third isn't written yet (or at least is in progress). But to be honest all good things come to those who wait and I am definitely waiting!

The Kingkiller Chronicles are brilliant for young adults and adults alike, a great one to put on your shopping list for people's birthdays etc. The world is incredible, the characters wonderful and the writing itself topnotch.

You don't want to miss out, I promise you.

Good Reading!
Tabs
X

1 comment:

Well if you're looking here, than you're thinking about leaving a message! Go on I'd like to hear from you...... well unless you're going to be nasty, hurtful, creepy (yes you bald old man), etc..... Look forward to hearing from you... Adios X