Sunday 14 April 2013

Shipwrecked

Shipwrecked by Siobhan Curham is darker than her previous two novels, Dear Dylan, and Finding Cherokee Brown. However I think I enjoyed it more. Shipwrecked is what I would look for in a Young Adult novel with equal amounts of sass, adventure, drama, and romance. I like how Curham manages to make sure that there is an equal amount of girl/boy time to girl/friend time. 

Shipwrecked follows a dance crew as they become wrecked on a desert island while they travel to a cruise ship to perform. Curham really develops each individual character, Grace, Belle, Jenna, Cariss, Todd, Ron, Dan, and the Flea. The story is told from Grace's point of view and she's a perfectly flawed teenager, she's real, she's easy to relate to and she's kind and likeable. I really enjoyed following Grace and watching how her relationships changed with the members of the dance crew. I also thought Curham introduced Cruz, the Spanish boat boy, to the crew well (he's shipwrecked with them) and portrays the attraction between Grace and Cruz well.

Something I have to comment on about Curham's writing skill is that she is amazing at dialogue. All the dialogue in Shipwrecked is beautifully written and seems realistic even when the events that are taking place seem far from! Just flicking back through this book in order to remind myself of what I thought I've reminded myself how much I liked it! and how I can't wait for the next in the series!

I'd give Shipwrecked a very high four as Curham has really mastered older YA writing with this book and I I really enjoyed it and plan to re-read it!! Published on the 3rd June, at the moment, you can order it from Amazon.co.uk for £5.59 which is a bargain!

Go for it, Summer treat.
Καλή ανάγνωση (Greek)
Tabs
X

3 comments:

  1. Ooh, I can't wait to read this! Thanks for the great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you - it's really good, you'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use this book in a class of 5th graders when we work on a year long study of literature from around the world. Many of my students have visual impairment, and I like the size of the book/pictures. Fantastic story read in a more historical manner than a narrative one.

    ReplyDelete

Well if you're looking here, than you're thinking about leaving a message! Go on I'd like to hear from you...... well unless you're going to be nasty, hurtful, creepy (yes you bald old man), etc..... Look forward to hearing from you... Adios X